(registered non-profit association)
We understand our cultural work as a way to support humanitarian engagement by interesting concert projects. Therefore we regularly appeal to our audience for funds and continually donate parts of our concert surpluses to humanitarian projects in Germany as well as abroad, such as the town twinning between Ulm and Jinotega and the Barenboim-Said-Foundation.
The choir was founded in 1984 and named after the song „Levantate“– Stand up – written by the Chilean composer Victor Jara. It is a call against political suppression in Latin America. In its first year the choir consisted of about fifteen members. Concerts were given at events organized by Amnesty International, the Third-World-Shop Ulm and the former peace movement. The first full-length concert took place in 1986 and was called “Revolution is Above All a Question of Love” – songs and texts about the resistance in South America and South Africa.
Our Musical Projects
The dimensions of our musical projects have grown over the years, in accordance to our singing experience and expertise. Trend-setting was since 1990 until his death in September 2014 our conductor Hartmut Premendra Mayer.
Accordingly we engage professional musicians as well as solo singers.
We supported the creation of new choir literature by commissioning compositions to our deceased conductor and composer Hartmut Premendra Mayer. They were funded by the cultural department of the town of Ulm:
2005: Des Lebens wechselvolles Spiel nach Texten von Friedrich v. Schiller
[Life’s eventful game after texts by Friedrich v. Schiller]
2007: Mein Glaubensbekenntnis nach Albert Einstein
[My Credo after Albert Einstein]
We would love to support other talented composers and are always open to new projects.
Our most important accomplished Projects and Concerts
- 2015 Karl Jenkins “The Peacemakers” – concert at Pauluskirche Ulm, directed by Patty Kontogianni, who – with the help of her husband Hendrik Haas, director of the Theatre Choir Ulm – accomplished a phantastic job while working with us as interim conductor, and lead us through a great concert.
- 2015 Karl Jenkins “The Peacemakers” – participation in the international concert at Carnegie Hall, NYC (Jan)
- 2013 Karl Jenkins “Requiem”
- 2013 Concert tour to Portugal and Spain, joint concert with the University Choir of Sevilla
- 2012 Misa Criolla, a Latino-American mass by Ariel Ramirez
- 2012 Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, joint concert with the Japanese Choir Kawaguchi
- 2012 Karl Jenkins “The Armed Man” in 2 versions
- 2011 Concert “Mögen Blumen blühen entlang Deines Weges”
- 2011 joint concert with the Japanese Choir Rosa Chorus
- 2010 concert trip through Chile; cultural exchange with other choirs and musicians as well as the opportunity to experience the Chilean culture.
- 2009 Joseph Haydn’s Harmony Mass together with the Kanon Orchestra from Kagoshima, Japan.
- 2009 joint concert with a group of Tibetan nuns
- 2006 concert tour in Japan as a joint undertaking with two other choirs under the lead of Hartmut Premendra Mayer, calling ourselves Ulm Choirs Union.
- 2004 CANTO GENERAL by Pablo Neruda (lyrics) and Mikis Theodorakis (music)